Written by World and Media
Country Reports and Profiles
- Travel Advice - Irish Department of Foreign Affairs
- BBC Monitoring Country Profiles. Sorted by region, each country profile provides a map, short historical review, a timeline of key events, quick country facts, biography of the head of government, links to media in each country, relevant news items, as well as the country’s national anthem.
- Background Notes. Published by the U.S. Department of State, these notes provide "facts about the land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations" of nearly 200 countries. Updated regularly. Previous Editions of Background Notes.
- CIA World Factbook. Provides extensive up-to-date statistical and factual information by country. Categories include: geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues. Flags of the world, as well as reference maps are also available.
- Country Profiles for Developing Nations (ELDIS). "Eldis is an internet based information service: filtering, structuring and presenting development information via the web and email." (from ELDIS site). This large site, funded by several international agencies, compiles information and reports on developing countries. By choosing the required region, and then navigating using the right-hand columns in the site, users can access information on economics, health, development, agriculture, education and aid by country.
- Economist Country Briefings. Provided by the international news magazine The Economist, these country briefings provide news, economic and trade forecasts, statistics, and political information for 60 countries. Updated regularly.
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) Country analysis & forecasts
- Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) Country Briefings. Short country-specific summaries on the results of the MPI analyses in 104 developing nations.
- OECD Statistics. The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has detailed statistics available for its 31 member countries. Information available includes a 100-indicator statistical profile per country, a statistics portal arranged by topic, and OECD publications. Information on non-member countries is also available as well, using the non-member drop-down menu.
- Portals to the World. Library of Congress. A portal for online information by country. "Portals to the World contain selective links providing authoritative, in-depth information about the nations and other areas of the world. They are arranged by country or area with the links for each sorted into a wide range of broad categories. The links were selected by Area Specialists and other Library staff using Library of Congress selection criteria." - main page.
- World Bank Country Profiles. Although focused on economic information, the World Bank’s country profiles provide data, statistics and reports on many indicators, including debt, poverty, education, trade, finance, and development. The site also provides links to sites of interest from other international agencies. Note that information is not uniform from country to country.